ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP - NEW!
• Who can apply for the Associate Membership? Category 1 (AM1) Physiotherapists based outside of Singapore and are keen to take up membership with the Association. Applicants must prove that they are qualified as physiotherapists. They must be registered physiotherapists in the country that they are practicing and/or members of the physiotherapy association in the country they based or their native country. Category 2 (AM2) Physiotherapists based in Singapore whose qualification does not meet the Allied Health Professions Council’s requirements and are working as therapist associate/aide/assistant. Applicants must prove that they are qualified physiotherapists in their native country and their membership applications must be endorsed by their local Head of Department (HOD), Human Resource Dept or a Senior Physiotherapist.
• What are the rights and benefits of the Associate membership?
• How much is the membership fee? $140 for 2 years membership with $40 (non-refundable) admin fee for new application.• How long does it take to process the membership application?Within two (2) weeks from the date the application is received, provided all documents and fees payable are in order.• How do I apply and what documents do I need to submit? You can download the Associate Membership Application form here. The required documents are listed on the application form. For further enquiries, please email: email@example.com.
- Rights to join Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Enjoy full benefits for SPA educational series
- Can convert to Ordinary membership when member’s registration to practice in Singapore is approved
- Not eligible to vote at the association’s Annual General Meeting
- Not eligible to run for office of council
CHANGES TO MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONS ACT
- The Allied Health Professions Act was passed in parliament on 10th Jan 2011. The Ministry of Health recently announced that the first phase of the Act implementation has taken effect on the 15th April 2013. Physiotherapists who wish to practise actively will have to be registered with the Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC). Physiotherapists are given a year (grace period) to be registered with the AHPC.
For more information on AHPC, please visit http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/hprof/ahpc/en.htm
- The Singapore Physiotherapy Association (SPA) has consulted various stakeholders and reviewed its membership criteria. The membership and admission committees under the council of SPA have streamlined their processes in line with the latest changes.
- To qualify for an ordinary/spouse/postgraduate membership, new applicants must show proof that they can be registered to practise in Singapore with the AHPC.
- New applicants must submit the following mandatory documents to the membership committee to process:
- *Certified True Copy Educational Certifications (i.e: NYP Diploma, BSc, Masters, PhD)
- Letter of Employment
- ^AHPC Certificate of Registration (to be submitted to Membership Committee by 15th April 2014.)
- There are no changes to the administrative and membership fees.
- The SPA Safety and Ethics test has ceased its operation with effect 07 December 2013.
- For overseas applicants who are keen for SPA membership, the Admission and Membership Committees have proposed a new category of membership type – Associate Membership. However, this new proposal has to be passed through the Registrar of Societies. Overseas applicants are advised to enquire the status in March 2014. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- For further enquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joint Statement by the Admission and Membership Committee
* Company’s Human Resources Department, Head of Department, Chief Physiotherapist or Person with Good Standing can certify documents as true copies.
^ For further clarification, please write email@example.com